Established 1982, Serving Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties.

MHET Mobile Home Hotline > (855) 438-6438

Home / Resources / Mobile Home Park Owners
Monday, May 29, 2023

Mobile Home Park Owners

Find information and links to various resources available to mobile home park owners.

Mobilehome Residency Law

Mobilehome Residency LawMobilehome Residency Law
Division 2. Part 2. Chapter 2.5 of the California Civil Code

The California Mobilehome Residency Law, Civil Code Section 798, governs mobile home park management and tenancies and is basically the landlord-tenant law for mobile home parks. Rental/land lease mobile home communities are the most highly regulated rental housing in California. The Mobilehome Residency Law deals with tenant notification, park rules, meetings with the owner, termination of tenancy, transferring the ownership of a home in a park, fees and charges. You can access the California Mobilehome Residency Law on the California Senate website here.

What Happens When It Is Time for a Trailer Camp or Park to Close?

State laws govern the closure of trailer and mobile home parks.  Park tenants are given either a 6 month or 12 month notice to vacate and are provided relocation benefits that equal the reasonable costs of relocating their home, family and belongings.

Park and Mobile Home Inspections

The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) is responsible for inspecting and issuing permits for mobile home parks and the manufactured housing in the parks.

A fee is charged by the state to cover the cost of these services. In some cases, local jurisdictions take over the responsibility for these inspections, but due to the costs, this is rare. The Southern California regional HCD office is located in Riverside and can be reached at 951-782-4420 or at