Established 1982, Serving Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties.

MHET Mobile Home Hotline > (855) 438-6438

Home / Mobilehomes / Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Kills
Saturday, Feb 04, 2023

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Kills

Every year, over 400 people die in the U.S. from accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.  Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas, which can cause sudden illness and death.  It is produced any time a fossil fuel is burned including natural gas or propane.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is entirely preventable. First, install a CO detector in your mobile home in a central location.  They are relatively inexpensive, but you do need to check the batteries every six months or so,

Below are additional steps on how to recognize and prevent CO poisoning:

  1. The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms.
  2. Never leave the motor running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage.
  3. Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern or portable camping stove inside your mobile home, RV or tent.
  4. If you suspect CO poisoning, call 911 or a health care professional right away.

Sources: Center for Disease Control and Prevention

National Center for Environmental Health

 

 

Categories

Archive