Starting in October, qualified California households will begin receiving the Middle-Class Tax Refund. The Middle-Class Tax Refund (MCTR) is a one-time payment to provide relief to Californians.
If you are eligible to receive the Middle-Class Tax Refund, you will automatically receive a payment. To be eligible for the payment, you must:
- Have filed your 2020 tax return by October 15, 2021.
- Meet the California adjusted gross income limits.
- Have not been claimed as a dependent as a dependent on a 2020 tax return.
- Be a California resident for six months or more of the 2020 tax year.
- Be a California resident on the date that the payment is issued.
Generally, if you filed electronically and received your 2020 tax refund by direct deposit, then you should get your payment the same way. Otherwise, you will receive your payment on a debit card.
Payments are expected to be issued between October 2022 – January 2023.
For more information about the MCTR, please call
1-800-542-9332 or visit the Franchise Tax Board’s website at www.ftb.ca.gov.