The Governor has declared a statewide water emergency and many cities are adopting voluntary and/or mandatory water conservation ordinances that limit water usage. The owners of mobile home parks and the residents living in the parks are already experiencing higher water rates and penalties for excessive use. Many water agencies have adopted a tiered rate structure that charges a lower rate for average use and higher rates for excessive usage of water. The goal is to encourage consumers to conserve. In communities such as mobile home parks, it is everyone’s responsibility to be mindful of how water is used. Following are some important water saving tips.
• Turn off the water when you brush your teeth = 3 gallons saved per day per person!
• Shorten your showers by one or two minutes = 5 gallons per day per person!
• Fix leaky faucets = 20 gallons per day
• Wash only full loads of laundry =15 to 50 gallons per load
• Water your yard only before 8 a.m. to reduce evaporation = 25 gallons per day
• Use a broom instead of a hose to clean driveways = 150 gallons each time