If you smell a natural gas odor (many describe the smell like rotten eggs), hear the sound of natural gas escaping or see other signs of a leak:
IMMEDIATELY EVACUATE the area, and from a safe location either call 911 or your local utility company.
DON’T smoke, light a match, candle, or other flame.
DON’T turn electrical appliances or lights on or off, operate motorized equipment or vehicles, or use any device that could cause a spark.
DON’T attempt to control the leak or repair a damaged pipe or meter. Natural gas leaking from a plastic pipe can create static electricity that can ignite the natural gas.